Welcome to my blog. . . .

I am pessimistict, my husband hates it and sometimes it takes away from the happiness I have all around me and so. . . this blog is dedicated to finding something good in each day and being optimistic.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Can you spell that for me....


When I was in the third grade my classmates and I were tested to see if we could be in an accelerated learning program. I did not pass the test. My two older sisters passed the test and were in the class as well as my older brother and a year later my younger brother. My mom had me take the test again thinking that something went wrong and I should surely be in there if my older siblings were.....

I have realized in my years of growing up that there are things I am just plain not good at...... spelling, math, waking up early, eating nutritiously instead of crud, getting out of PJ's before lunch, playing a music instrument (many more things).

Fast forwarding to present day..... I just finished a homemade quilt for my son, this weekend I made my nephew a Thomas the Train birthday cake, I have finished a sprint triathlon this year and I biked 38 miles this past Saturday on my road bike, I have made my daughter dresses and bows and I can cook well enough to make my families tummy happy. I have come to realize there are things that others may be good at or wonderful at and I need to be happy and support their greatness. I try to never be jealous of others accomplishments or talents but remember that I have talents and have had accomplishments of my own that make me who I am.

I learn as time goes by to focus in on the talents and skills I posses because that is what makes me happy. To not worry what others can do or if they are better at me at something and try to remember my own worth.

14 notes:

The Dark Family said...

That is exactly what I needed to hear today! You are amazing!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

such a good reminder- thanks karla.

Erica Ann said...

This is just what I needed to hear today to chase away those feelings of doubt about my abilities as a mother and wife. Thanks!

CHRISTINE said...

Ahhh, so true! And when did you become Lance Armstrong? Geez, Karla! 38 miles?! Way. to. go. I will never stop eating crud either. Well, crud, as in junk food.

Amanda said...

Wonderful post. I'm horrible at spelling. The worst! But I too have learned that's why we have spell check and I can focus my time on what I am good at.

Britney {Jesses Girl} said...

love this post! it's so true!

Gwen said...

You are so dead on. We all have different talents. I love yours. Will you make me a quilt?

Kat Clark said...

Amen girl! Sometimes as women I feel sad that we are so competitive with each other. It's sad when we let silly jealousy get in the way of a great friendship! I do it too much and I have to remind myself of this almost daily! You are so wonderful and so beautiful and I just love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing this little tidbit.

Niki said...

Great post! And, so true. We are all good at different things and the talents we have may be the same as others, and that is ok. Cute outfit, by the way :)

The Wolfes said...

Hahaha love it!!! want to come over for a playdate on Wednesday? i didnt get your cell number......you can text me !

Brenden+Nikki said...

So true! My husband and I always talk about learning to be truly happy for others. Sometimes it's hard (who wants to admit that?). I came to realize that sometimes it's hard because you actually really admire their accomplishments. It's sometimes a good motivator to find what would make you happy with yourself in the same way (sounds like you already know how to do that). You go girl! :)

hyrum♥chelsea said...

glad to hear i'm not the only NON early bird :) you're amazing. dont forget it. xoxo

Sarah said...

You sound like super woman to me.

Cam and Mele said...

Beautifully written, and a wonderful reminder! Thank you Karla, I loved it and needed it:)