Welcome to my blog. . . .

I am pessimistict, my husband hates it and sometimes it takes away from the happiness I have all around me and so. . . this blog is dedicated to finding something good in each day and being optimistic.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

what's for dinner. . .

Today I was tested. There is a sweet family in our ward who had a baby a few short months ago born with a complication that Dr's are working to correct. This amazing family had their baby in the hospital for the first weeks/months of his life. Now home with the baby and two other kids as I read her blog I am amazed at her outlook on the entire situation and how well she deals with it. Just recently she wrote on her blog about how her son was having an issue where he needed to be held a lot, mainly in an upright position. My heart felt the urge to help as I could only imagine a day with a preschooler, toddler and now a newborn needing to be held all day. I'm sure every mother out there would love to sit and hold their new born all day but we all know how many things are also on our agenda as wives and mothers, especially to three kids. So. I was really excited to at least bring her dinner and do a small part to help. I set up a date, then we got sick. I set up another day and that was today and here is where the story begins. . . .
It was a good day here until dinner time rolled around. I decided to just make her family the same dinner our family was having and half it so it was really no extra work. As soon as I started on dinner my kids went CRAZY. Little miss needed to help, and wanted to watch the bread in the over or stir the sauce. Little man wanted to eat and then be held. Mind you I had to cook this meal anyways for my own family so it would have happened either way but for some reason I felt like it should be going smoothly because I was doing service. I almost felt I was entitled to this dinner being simple and the kids being good since I was helping someone else. Almost as If I thought Heavenly Father owed it to me. I was kinda upset. Then I stopped for a second and gathered myself together and quickly thought how dumb that was of me to even think that. I was wanting to help and excited to help and to be kind and do for someone what I would want done for me and it didn't matter if it was easy or hard. As things wrapped up I loaded the kids and the food and we went on our way. The craziness still was continuing. I even got lost on the way to her house and she is like 5 streets away and I have been there several times. As soon as she opened the door I saw her little guy laying there crying just wanting his momma who had briefly put him down (to answer the door )to come comfort him and I just wanted to cry. I felt the love at that moment that comes from service and only service. I felt so happy that I could help this family in some small way just to let that amazing mom hold that little baby without the stress of getting dinner together that night and right then and there I would gladly go through the times I went through this afternoon to feel that overwhelming joy that service brings to your heart and help someone in need. I even cried on my way home with a sense of happiness that I didn't give up on the opportunity presented. Even though it may have not been all that much to them it was a good lesson for me and for that I am thankful. It is amazing how trials in this life can come our way but we are all here and able to help one another lighten the load in these times. I was happy to return home with dinner made waiting in the oven while we waited for mr. husband to return home and spend peaceful time in the backyard swinging my sweet kids who reminded me today that times are hard but if we endure to the end it is all worth it:) thanks you to the amazing family I am talking about here for the opportunity to serve:)

8 notes:

Tyler, Kamry, Jaxxen, Madexx and Nixxen said...

Thats so sad about the lady in your ward. Makes me so sad. I couldnt imagine having to go through that. We are also excited to move! It will be nice and pretty close to a freeway since Tucson is such a pain to get around to places! Yeah we will have to get together. Im sure my oldest who is almost 3 would love to play with your little girl! Email me tykamwaite@gmail.com

Sarah said...

Thank you, that was inspiring. Good job, it isn't always easy to help others, but it is always worth it!

David and Shalynna said...

That's so sweet, Karla. I'm sure they really appreciated your service and prayers on their behalf. Isn't it great that when we serve we are the ones who benefit most? I'll remember this dear family in my prayers and hope that they'll feel comforted.

Oh and I keep meaning to tell you that I love the recipes you posted on Jessica's (Craig) blog. I can't wait to try them. :)

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Good Job Karla! It does feel good to serve others- and it's tough when your own hands are full. Great work~

TrishAnderson said...

I obviously know who you are talking about and although she does so much strength I am sure that on the inside she is just pieces. Good for you for serving her. I wish I had thought of it. I guess it isn't too late and I can still do something about it. Thank you for your example to me.

SloneFamily said...

You are great Karla. I am sure you appreciated it 100%! Although your thinking may have been flawed, it still is true that what goes around comes around. I think your good deed was definitely noticed!

☂niki. said...

you are so sweet kar.

such good insight on service.

makes me want to serve more.

Amanda said...

I had a very similar experience yesterday. I took jeff to work yesterday so I had the car. I spent most of the day running errands...not for myself but on behalf of someone else. I even made dinner for another family and dropped that off and did some visiting teaching. On the way home from picking Jeff up at work, our car over heated and we had to pull over on the side of the road like three times to let it cool off. We finally made it home but our car is in the shop now. I'm sure if I had not driven it so much yesterday it might have lasted a few more days...but it is important to help others even when it's not super convenient for us.