Welcome to my blog. . . .

I am pessimistict, my husband hates it and sometimes it takes away from the happiness I have all around me and so. . . this blog is dedicated to finding something good in each day and being optimistic.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

I didn't see this coming....

" Karla would you be a nursery teacher?"....... I replied yes when asked but thought about it that night and literally cried. It wasn't a hard cry like it was something horrible, just a disappointed cry. Disappointed that I would not be in relief society, baby free for an hour, be spiritually fed and able to meet new sisters in the ward.
I was really nervous to start in this class of 9 children ranging in ages 18 months to 3years, but today was my first day. I walked into this class and the children came in one by one. The toys were taken out and they began to play. I sat on the floor and watched them play as well as took part in some of the imaginary play going on. We had music time and it was joyful to see them sing about the Savior. Then it came time for snacks and after that was the lesson. I gave a lesson on being reverent and listening to the spirit. I told them that we need to be quiet.... as i whispered, and fold out our arms.... and listen and we could feel the spirit this way and Jesus' love. As I was telling them this I felt the spirit, I had to hold back crying for fear of scaring them, and I could not believe how wonderful this opportunity was to be a nursery teacher. Here I was disappointed when this is the most rewarding thing I feel I could be doing these two hours at church, how lucky I am to have this calling and feel the spirit and be spiritually fed. I feel so blessed to be able to teach these sweet children of Jesus and His love for them and feel that love as I teach. I had my testimony strengthened by these sweet children of God and their sweet spirits. I carried on the lesson by having us jump and wiggle and them I would say 1...2....3... be reverent and we would all stop the jumping and wiggling and be quiet and fold our arms and feel the peace that came in the reverence, they all did so well! And the last part of my lesson was having them all color ears that were strapped to a strip of construction paper and they could wear them as listening ears.... they were all so cute. I can't say how happy and excited I am about my new calling as well as the sister I was called to serve with, she is such an example to me as well. As I was in there I realized how I feel so much more at home and calmer being that I am surrounded by little children. Sometimes I feel in relief society with all the sister in there I get a little nervous and socially awkward but not in here. This left me excited to go home and share more of these moments with my own children, new ideas for play and learning about our Savior and so once again I am taught to trust in Him, and I know I truly will be led to happiness.

9 notes:

Lindsey said...

I LOVED serving in the nursery when Kolter and I were first married. You are so lucky to be in there! Aren't the kids SO CUTE?? H is going to be in nursery in less than 3 months and I am suddenly so nervous for her! I want to go with her!!

TrishAnderson said...

I am glad the experience was great for you. I am sure these little children will be able to see your example and feel the love of our Heavenly Father and Savior through you!

The Wolfes said...

hey Karla i was wondering if i could use this in my talk i am giving on Sunday, if not no worries i just thought it was awesome!!! your so fantastic and a better person than I. When i did nursery i cried every sunday when church was over. yup hahaha

love_b said...

Me and my husband got called to serve in nursery when Bella was 5 months old. For the longest time I couldn't understand why they would put us in there with a brand new one.. I was always scared she would get sick because of all the germs, so I grew bitter and had a hard time going. Looking back I am so mad at myself because that calling wasn't about me.. it was about those sweet spirits, they are learning so much at that age and need good examples to be in there. You will do a great job!!

Alexa Mae said...

this is awesome! and i know how you feel. that is how i first felt with sunbeams. now i've been in sunbeams for almost 3 years!

The Wolfes said...

Thanks so much Karla!! i wont mention names so no worries and we are totally down for dinner any sunday evening, sundays seem to be the only nights we have open!! haha

Ashley Smith said...

I have had the same experience before! The nursery is sweet! I love your last few posts! I love the fourth of July one- you are a lucky woman and i love how you express your happiness! i love that we have been friends since Jr High and have not talked in ages but i know you are, and always will be one of my true friends. And your little Reed is just so stinkin cute!! I cant believe my little Halle will be one in a few weeks- AHHHH!!!! Oh, and the cake is ADORABLE!!! Getting on your blog brought happiness to my life today and i am grateful! Love you!

Tyler, Kamry, Jaxxen, Madexx and Nixxen said...

Your post is just what I needed! I was just telling my husband the other day that I do not want to be called into Nursery. It has been my fear since the twins just turned 18 months 2 weeks ago! I need those 2 hours without kids! But now if I get called into Nursery I will be ok with it! Thanks so much!

Branden & Jamie said...

Karla, I'm so grateful for you to be in nursery, I have always felt a special spirit in nursery with those little ones. Thank you for being so amazing with Bryson. You are his 2nd mom. I love how we tried taking him to the nursery that he's assigned to and walking up the stairs he started hypervenalating. Then Branden walked him down the stairs and as soon as he saw you he grabbed your hand to go with you. =) He's always praying for you and your family. Our prayers, any prayers, wouldn't BE prayers unless we blessed bizbis, kar, weed, pooer. Love you guys!!