Welcome to my blog. . . .

I am pessimistict, my husband hates it and sometimes it takes away from the happiness I have all around me and so. . . this blog is dedicated to finding something good in each day and being optimistic.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

seven years of plenty.....

Sometimes I can't help but think how depressing it is to be at the time in our lives that we are starting our family, trying to prepare a good future for that family and trying to gain some sort of financial security or goals..... not to mention bask in the freedom we are just embarking on after living with our parents for 4/5ths of our lives thus far, only to be trampled on by this ugly economy. I will be the first to say that we are not sitting as pretty as we would like to but are still being blessed tremendously and my husbands work is wonderful..... We are at a time when some of our homes are not an asset of wealth but a burden. Some of us are living with parents once again when we just felt we left. Some don't even have jobs to provide for their families or money in the bank. This economic crisis hit as we were just getting started.... I have heard of 7 years of plenty comes seven years of famine but what if the famine hits first? I will tell you what I have gained from all of this......
Humility, Faith, Gratitude, to see that material things do not bring joy but people do, to hold on a little longer and pray a little harder and to realize things will always work out....they just do.
And when I really think about it I think how great it is that I have the chance to learn all these things right off the bat as our family is just starting, and that I can carry this throughout our life instead of wishing I had know this years ago. I am learning the importance of a savings account, to stay away from debt and that we are always in His watchful care... and if that doesn't lift my spirits kissing these cheeks always does....

6 notes:

Brenden+Nikki said...

SOOOO true! We have been struggling for a year now without employment (and we have THREE college degrees between the two of us) yet somehow we have managed to stay afloat (well, not somehow....it's been Heavenly Father and we are VERY aware of it). Barely sometimes....but we are still making it, but our basic needs are always met. Anyway, whenever I feel down I look around and realize how much we actually have, and that there are people out there who have so little. Some people in other countries don't even know if they will be able to eat dinner that night. How can I possibly complain?

And I agree with you. I would much rather learn this now in my life, then be at the peak of our lives, lose everything, and have to learn to live with nothing when we had so much before. It's easier to learn to live with nothing when you started off with nothing anyway! ha ha. I guess in my mind though I always imagined that "starting a life together" literally meant STARTING, not just jumping right into having everything we wanted. It definitely helps us grow stronger together as a family! :)

Keighley Poulsen Fleming said...

Great post Karla. The one thing that I feel most fortunate about is the fact that since we have been married it's always been tight financially. (due to schooling, work hours, bills etc) Although the economy is crazy it's what we have been living with the past 4 years. It is hard though to watch love ones struggle and it's definitely forcing us to all grow.

xoxo

stephen&andrea said...

karla
loved your post today, it is so true "MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING" that's what my dad says to me all the time people that have a lot of money and nice material things aren't that happy they might have things that we don't but we have a greater thing in life and that's our family.
Family comes first they are priceless:)

Mindy said...

Love it. These are some great lessons you are learning right off the bat. They will benefit you later in life...I promise.
Sounds like your priorities are just where they should be.

love_b said...

I honestly despise money.

I always remember when times are hard for me and my little family something my mom told me a long time ago. She said that the best time of her life, was when her and my dad were first married with me as a little baby dirt poor. She told me how simple life was and how they made the best of their circumstance.

I always think about that and know that I will look back on these hard times and wish we could come back to life being easier. Hard to imagine but I know we will!

Thanks for writing this! :)

Tatiana said...

Love this post! It is hard to keep our hopes high and our faith even higher. But with Heavenly Father, it will all come to pass.
I wish we could have learned these lessons when we were first starting out our family. Now we have learned and will never forget. Thank you for reminding me that money is not everything and we do have exactly what we need.